Go back to the Job List
Posted by: Interval House
Posted date: 15-Feb-2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Are you seeking a dynamic role in which you will help to rebuild the lives of women and their children who are fleeing abusive relationships?
As the first shelter for abused women and children in Canada, we are leaders in the campaign for women’s empowerment, providing innovative, specialized services that help abused women and their children transform their lives and break the cycle of violence (website: www.intervalhouse.ca)
INTERVAL HOUSE has 1 available position for:
children’s counsellor / ADVOCATE (Relief)
Incumbent will work in collaboration with the Women’s Counsellors/Advocates; Community Programs Staff and other Residential Program staff; and separately within their own area of responsibility; to carry out the tasks and responsibilities involved in assisting women and children in dealing with the impact of violence on their lives. This work is primarily carried out through shifts consisting of days, evenings and occasionally weekends.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responding to emergency situations as required
- Performing needs assessment and admissions
- Providing supportive crisis counseling to women and their children
- Advocating on behalf of clients to facilitate access to various systems and/or resources
o Writing support letters for clients
o Liaising between clients and external systems and agencies
- Assisting parents with developing and implementation of action plan facilitating conflict resolution
- Providinga positive female role model for the children and a forum where they can observe positive female-male interactions
- Carrying out general office administration that includes maintaining up-to-date documentation with routine and incident-related record-keeping, statistical data, and report writing
- Delivering supportive individual and group counseling services
- Managing effective conflict resolution
Incumbent will adhere to Interval House’s mission, vision, policies and practices within a performance management accountability system and will ensure effective internal and external communications and participate in ongoing team building and teamwork.
o Post secondary education and/or related experience in counselling and advocacy for children essential. Similar experience with women is an asset.
o Demonstrated experience working with people of diverse cultures and races.
o Excellent written and verbal skills.
o Excellent analytical and reporting skills - verbal and written
o Ability to prioritize tasks, take initiative, manage conflicts, adapt to and manage change
o Ability to maintain effective working relationships with team members
o Valid First Aid/CPR certificate
o Strong computer skills: Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel; Access and Power Point an asset.
Please e mailyour resume in confidence to the address below, byfebruary 26, 2012.
Please include your resume in the body of your e-mail; attachments will not be opened.
Only applicants with the required qualifications and experience will be interviewed.
All successful applicants must undergo a criminal reference check.
Interval demonstrates its commitment to equity and diversity and does not condone any form of discrimination.